Thursday, March 22, 2012

The technological woes of a blind man.

A word of warning.  I have only had one hours sleep in the past two days and I am at my most insane.  My visual impairment punishes me all the worse when I am in this state and my blind spot grows larger and my patience with it is pretty thin.  That's probably why I am having the issue I have right now.

I have had the same piece of crap phone for five years.  It was out of date when I got it and it hasn't aged well since.  I was running around with a Samsung Sync on AT&T all this time and averaging about 100 minutes  a month.  Why this constituted 50 bucks a month after taxes and 200 message add on I have no idea.  So the Sync was finally dying a slow agonizing death and causing me no end of troubles.  I come from a line of people with vivid imaginations and when I called my mother and the mic in the phone decided to pop out for a smoke, I was left yelling into the phone while my mother asked if I was being dismembered because I wasn't speaking.  Two phone calls and a restart later I was able to allay her fears but it was still a horrible conversation that annoyed me.

So I finally ran over to Cricket and picked up a Sansung Transfix and took my first plunge into the new smart phone revolution.  My first issue is that I needed to pull down an app just so I could see the darn thing with its small fonts.  The app I had researched didn't do very good and kept pushing me to grab another app which I found annoying and it took several goes before I finally figured out how to make the stupid thing work as intended instead of being a clicky billboard.  That finished and with lackluster results I turned to other spects of the phone and was trying to get a handle on some of the options to make things easier for me.  That's when issue two settled in.

I went to call my guru o technia only to find that the phone wouldn't let me call out.  Two hours and a phone call alter I had somehow turned airplane mode on.  Airplane Mode?  My old hoopty just got a nice heathy stab to the power button when I got on a plane.  So now I feel like an idiot and I still haven't figured out half of what I need to know just to operate the phone as well as I did the busted one.

I neglect to mention that I am trying to use a powered magnifying glass and holding it over the screen the entire time and it is contructed in such a way as to need to lie flat in order to be in focus.  So I am dealing with a fuzzy UI and trying not to jab my own fingers on the keyboard and the touchscreen the whole time and my magnifier ran out of gogo juice before I really could make any more significant headway.

I go through this stuff all the time but when it is something as fundamental as a phone it can really be a pain.  With my last phone, which was far less complicated as this one, it took me a while but I managed to be able to operate it and send texts without even looking at the screen or dial pad.  I could read a text and start typing back with my phone in my pocket.

I think the most frustrating thing is that I keep fatfingering the display and I haven't figured out how to go back a menu.  I somehow manage to do it eventually but haven't gotten the knack of it yet.  It's really good times and since I am sleep deprived there is a great deal of grunting, high pitched whining, and chest beating.  I was lucky I didn't need to go to the bathroom because I might have been willing to give aerial deification tricks a try.  Lack of sleep and a visual impairment can really make you go mental and the best part of being stark raving mad is that you simply don't care.  Thank goodness the house was empty tonight.  If I had to ask for help I might have burned a few bridges and terrified children.

Feel free to laugh at my ppain and sorrow because I sure plan to, and then go right back to it tomorrow and see if a new psychosis presents itself and tips its cap.  If I keep messing with this phone I doubt it could call before it came over.

No comments:

Post a Comment