Saturday, March 17, 2012

Let the Amateur Marketing Commence

Well it's been a little more than a month since I released by debut novel and I have learned a lot.  For one thin, you can't expect people to find your work just because it exists.  I suppose I already knew that but there is always the suspicion that you will get discovered and win the lottery no matter how stupid you know your being.  In the past month I have done a ton of marketing research and come to a few realizations.

One thing that I heard from the "Writing Excuses Podcast" was that you can't expect to have a following after one novel or even a few.  One of the hosts himself came from a self publishing background and gave away his material for free for six years prior making his living through writing.  I also have read many author's blogs I found through Twitter asserting the same thing.

In response to this I used the Promotion available through the Kindle Direct Publishing tool and put my book out for free for five days.  There are still a few days left but I am already happy with how many people have grabbed the book.  Hopefully I can get some feedback out of it and get some recognition when I come out with more stuff.

I'm gearing up to do some paid advertising soon and my hopes are high but my expectations are cynical.  There's seems to be a theme going on with being a first time writer, one of discovery and trepidation.

Soon I should have my short story "My Turn ons Include Napalm" up for free on the Amazon Kindle and hopefully it can drive sales as well.

Lastly is that credibility seems to come with the more works you put out there so I need to keep my nose to the grindstone and keep plugging away on the material I am working on.

I thank those that have helped me along.  The list keeps growing and I appreciate all the wise words and selfless actions.

No comments:

Post a Comment