Saturday, March 3, 2012

Companion Short for "Prey for Vengeance."

      As I have stated in a previous post I started work on a short story as a companion to the "Prey for Vengeance" novel.  In it we will find two major characters in the novel about two weeks after the first novel ends.  I have submitted my final draft to my friend and editor Ed Walerius and to my illustrator Steve Griffing and already gotten some feedback. 
        This was my first shot at short fiction and I wanted to do it right.  According to Wikipedia a short story is a work that is 7,500 words or less and I regret I was using that as a ceiling and forgot the basic point of short fiction which is to say as much as you can with the fewest amount of words.  I finished my first draft and it was well over six thousand words.  When I was going over the first draft I wasn't satisfied with the word choice and unecesary sentences.  The problem was so wide spread that I thrashed the first draft and re-wrote the whole thing.  My second attempt ran just over four thousand words and got straight to the point.  I sent it off before even performing a spell check I am ashamed to admit now but my good friends somehow looked past my indiscretion and dutifully read it immediately and gave me some minor points to reword or rephrase.
       My main concern about the content itself was that it be consistent with the novel and that the characters would do something not because I wanted them to, but because it was something it was in their nature to do.  I thought it necessary for the side characters in this series to really take on a life of their own despite not having their prospective involved.  I did my best to continue this in my short story and even dial it up a notch.  I will be releasing this for free along with some sample chapters of my novel.  Mr. R.W. Harper has graciously said that he would consider hosting them on Lorewritter.com and has given me some guidance on how they should be presented to which I am eternally thankful.  It was a really good day when I heeded Sister Julie and Sister Fran's advice from the No Prisoners No Mercy Podcast when they suggested that I drop Mr. Harper a line.
          I hope to get my short story back soon from Ed Walerius, but he has a rather busy schedule with school and I must allow for that since he edits my material out of the kindness of his heart.  I hope I will be able to post it soon so that I can share my work with all of you.

Chris Dodson

No comments:

Post a Comment